In this episode I interview Sam Dennigan, the founder and CEO of Strong Roots, an Irish plant-based frozen food brand.
Founded in 2015, Strong Roots has seen rapid growth in the UK, including being the first frozen food brand (apart from ice cream) to be stocked in Harrods (which is considered to be the UK’s most prestigious and upmarket store where the royals shop).
The frozen food brand has also recently launched into the US market in Wegmans, Target and Whole Foods, and secured more than $18 million in funding from investors Goode Partners who’ve also backed cult clothing brand Supreme and high-street favorite All Saints.
Sam has decades of experience in the food business, having grown up working for his family’s fruit and vegetable distribution company, yet he failed at launching two other brands before founding Strong Roots.
Sam is committed to building a sustainable brand and has implemented several environmentally-efficient practices into the business, including being on course for all packaging to be 100% recyclable this year (that’s 2020 if you’re listening in the future).
In this interview, which was recorded before the current COVID-19 coronavirus crisis, Sam discusses:
• The major mistakes he made and what he learned from his previous brand launch failures
• How the Strong Roots products got into Harrods (without Sam even realizing it had happened!)
• How he raised $18 million in investment to grow the brand
• How he knew the company was ready to take on the US market
• They key strategy that’s led to the brand being successful in competing against the big players in the frozen food category
• And much more
Visit the Strong Roots website
Brands mentioned in vegan business news highlights
Services: Work with me
Follow Vegan Business Media on:
Connect with me personally at: