In this episode I interview Shawna Barker, a plant-based nutritionist in Vancouver, Canada.
Shawna is also the owner, manager and in-store nutritionist at Plant Life Nutrition, Vancouver’s only fully vegan health food store.
She began her journey towards health and nutrition over 25 years ago when she decided to change her diet at a very young age and was determined to learn everything she could about nutrition, food science, natural health, and how to thrive on a plant-based diet.
Shawna graduated with honors from the University of British Columbia with a Bachelor of Science degree in Food, Nutrition and Health, as well as the Canadian School of Natural Nutrition with a Diploma in Holistic Nutrition.
Between 2010 and 2013 she ran an organic farm and food truck, but then switched to focusing on her nutrition business, Synergy Nutrition, full time.
Drawing from her background in both science and holistic health she supports her clients with a comprehensive program including individualized diet, supplements, and lifestyle recommendations.
In this interview, Shawna discusses:
• The challenges in making the switch to full-time nutritionist and why niching in plant-based nutrition was instrumental to her success
• How she successfully transitioned the health store she owns and manages into an all-vegan one, including changing the name, and despite initially losing some customers
• How she juggles running her nutrition business and managing the store
• Why location has been crucial for the business’s success
• Why she uses both ‘plant-based’ and ‘vegan’ in her marketing and branding materials
• The number one marketing tool she uses that brings the best results (it’s not social media) and how she measures the success
• And much more.
Brands mentioned in vegan business news highlights
Follow Vegan Business Media on:
Connect with me personally at: