In this episode I interview renowned business journalist, leadership expert and best-selling author Suzy Welch in New York.
Suzy began her career as a crime reporter for The Miami Herald in 1981 before leaving daily journalism a few years later to study at Harvard Business School and then worked as a management consultant. In 1995 she combined her two career paths at the Harvard Business Review (HBR), where she was eventually named Editor-in-Chief.
Suzy is the author of the New York Times bestseller 10-10-10: A Life Transforming Idea, a guide to values-driven decision making.
With her husband, Jack Welch (the former chairman and CEO of General Electric), Suzy founded the Jack Welch Management Institute, an online MBA program. The pair have co-authored international best-sellers, The Real Life MBA and Winning.
For the past three decades, Suzy has written extensively about leadership, career management, and other organizational issues, for publications ranging from O, The Oprah Magazine to The Wall Street Journal. In addition, her candid and perceptive commentary can also be heard regularly on Power Lunch, and CNBC.com programs, ‘Get to Work, with Suzy Welch’ and ‘Suzy Welch: Fix My Career’.
Suzy is the mother of four children, and as a tireless advocate for universal compassion, she currently serves on the board of several animal rights organizations. She’s also a passionate vegan and evangelical Christian.
In this interview Suzy discusses:
• The biggest mistakes she and Jack see entrepreneurs making and what to do instead
• Her own experience as an entrepreneur – and why it didn’t work for her
• Why scaling-up can often result in disaster for some vegan businesses
• Why vegan business owners need to stop being afraid of partnering with non-mission-aligned distributors or other collaborators
• What she looks for when being pitched as an investor (and what not to include in your pitch to her)
• How she handled being fired from HBR and her advice on how to survive a damaged reputation
• The role of religion and faith in business
• And much more
Brands mentioned in vegan business news roundup:
Follow Vegan Business Media on:
Connect with me personally at: