In this episode I interview Cayla Mackey and Dave Pittman from Unicorn Goods, whose tagline is ‘the world’s largest vegan store’, in Rhode Island, New England.
The couple have run several social enterprises including Nashville’s culture magazine Native, and Taco Bike, a certified organic restaurant.
They started Unicorn Goods, an online store, in November 2014, offering a large range of vegan goods across a number of categories using an affiliate model.
CEO Cayla oversees the overall vision and strategy of the company, while CCO Dave, a former creative director of advertising company Young & Rubicam, oversees the creative vision of the brand. Dave is an industrial designer focusing on vegan manufacturing and animal-free design at the Rhode Island School of Design.
In this interview Cayla and Dave talk about:
• Why they chose to use an affiliate model for the business and the pros and cons of this approach
• Why they made the company a public benefit corporation
• How collaboration and community building, including the creation of their brand ambassador program, the ‘Unicorn Squad’ has contributed to the success of the business
• How using interns and volunteers in an ethical, win-win scenario can be an affordable way to build your business
• The benefits of being a PETA-approved business
• The key questions to ask yourself when considering starting a business
• And much more
Visit the Unicorn Goods online store
Brands mentioned in vegan business news roundup:
Follow Vegan Business Media on:
Connect with me personally at: